Hello, I’m Yuki.
I love bread, so I’m making bread on weekend. To make toastier, I use whole wheat flour and it goes well with raisins and nuts. Also, whole wheat flour is healthier than white flour.
So I’ll introduce how to make plain bread with whole wheat flour at my blog:)
I attached many pictures for beginners. Bread takes a long time, but the bread fresh out of oven smells nice and delicious! Please enjoy your time at home with my recipe.
The Difference between White Flour and Whole Wheat Flour
First, I’ll explain the difference between white flour and whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour includes high nutrition, so eating whole wheat flour proactively makes you healthy.
- White Flour:
Powder made from grain. Which loses its natural nutrients during the process of making flour.
- Whole Wheat Flour:
Flour that is ground from the whole grain and contains all the constituents of the wheat kernels. So it includes rich fiber, vitamin and mineral.
- A loaf size bread pan
- Heat-resistant bowl
- Heat-resistant measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Large size cutting board to knead dough
- Saran wrap
- Paper towel
- Parchment paper
- Bread flour: 200g
- Whole wheat flour: 50g
- Sugar: 2 table spoon
- Skim milk: 2 table spoon
- Water: 170cc
- Instant dry yeast: 3g
(Please use the quantity written at instant dry yeast you bought. I’m using “Saff’s instant dry yeast red“)
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter: 20g + 5g (To coat the pan)
- Raisins: 80g (Put it as you like)
- Measure Bread flour (200g) and whole wheat flour (50g) with the bowl and move half of the ingredients to heat-resistant bowl.
- Add sugar (2 tbsp) and skim milk (2 tbsp) to the heat-resistant bowl.
- Add unsalted butter (20g) and sugar (1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Put unsalted butter (about 5g) to the bread pan.
- Heat water (170cc) with 600W microwave for 40 seconds. Touch the water and check if it’s about 40 degrees.
- Splash heated water to the skim milk inside heat-resistant bowl and mix with spatula.
- Put in all ingredients inside stainless bowl to heat-resistant bowl and mix roughly with spatula.
- Move the dough to cutting board with scraper and knead. Take off the dough stick to cutting board with scraper while kneading. Knead the dough until it comes together. Kneading procedure is finished if you can’t see the dry yeast when you extend the dough. I knead the dough about 10 minutes.
- Extend the dough and shape square. Put on raisins (80g) and knead. You could skip this procedure if you don’t add raisins.
- Place the sealed edge of dough downward and put into the heat-resistant bowl. I use the same heat-resistant bowl. If you can’t get the dough together, maybe kneading is not enough.
- Cover the heat-resistant bowl with saran wrap and ferment 30 minutes. (40 degrees)
- Push the dough with your fist and remove the gas inside the dough.
- Put out the dough with scraper and divide into three.
- Put the dough on your hand and turn dough with your other hand by placing lightly on the side of dough.
- Cover doughs with the wet paper towel and leave it for 10 minutes. You could use cloth instead of paper towel.
- Coat the bread pan with unsalted butter while leaving the dough.
- Face up the sealed edge of dough and push with your fist to remove the gas inside dough.
- Extend the dough and shape rectangle and roll it from foreground. Put into the bread pan by facing down the end.
- Cover the bread pan with saran wrap and ferment 20 minutes. (40 degrees) Butter will leak from bottom, so lay parchment paper under the bread pan until the bread is baked.
- Remove saran wrap and bake with oven which preheat to 190 degrees for 24 minutes. I ferment and bake dough with same oven, so I keep ferment dough covered with saran wrap at the side of kitchen while preheat. My oven heat is strong, so I cover the pan with aluminum foil when the dough is baked about 7 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cut as you like.
Thank you for reading my long article.
Plain bread takes a long time to make, but the most time is ferment and baking procedure. So you could clean your rooms or wash clothes while these procedures.
Bread fresh out of oven is very delicious! Please make it at home:)